Like Abraham Lincoln, we have a twofold mandate and two source materials.
First, we have a mission mandate based on our written source material, the Bible. Second, we have a motive mandate based on our heart source material, inspired by the Holy Spirit.
If we go into the Scriptures, our source document, how do we pull out our mandate? Does the Bible tell us what our job is?
In order to justify our life’s journey, like Lincoln, we need to look for a mandate to stand behind us and anchor everything we do. Thankfully, the Bible presents an amazingly consistent pattern for our two-part mandate.
10 Scriptures: A biblical pattern of the two-part mandate
1. Mark 12:28-34, The most important commandment
2. Matthew 28:16-20, The Great Commission
3. Deuteronomy 6:4-7, Loving God is not a solo issue. It always has two parts.
4. Exodus 20, Four commandments on loving God, six on loving your brother
5. Psalms 16:1-3, The Psalmist links the two-part mandate
6. Book of Hosea, Loves God and obeys him by loving his people in a dramatic way
7. John 15:9-17, Jesus’ final discourse to his disciples…to love God and love others
8. 1 Corinthians 13, Paul talks to the church “if I don’t have love I am nothing”
9. Ephesians 3:14-21, Established in love (one of my favorite passages of Scripture)
10. Revelation 2:1-7, Church of Ephesus did one part of mandate but not the other